As work life continues, I am continually amazed by how my previous experiences inform my present activities.
Taking the example of this blog, the simple act of writing and having an address on the Internet has taught me many things that I continue to use at work today.
- I know about Omniture tracking and web analytics because I use Google Analytics to track my site statistics.
- I know about Search because I need to write with Search Engine Optimisation in mind to make sure that my content reaches out to the right people
- I know about display banner advertising because I am a publisher that allows Google ads on my blog
- I know about the importance of mobile optimisation because Google penalises me for not having a site that is mobile-friendly
- I know about Social Media because I used it to reach a bigger base for my articles. I also know what I love sharing and what flies past my head
- And many, many more…
What is interesting and amazing to me is that I did not set out to learn these things. They just sort of came with the territory. I’m sure many professional bloggers out there can attest to this.
Why am I writing about this? Read more